Personally, I find peanut butter really tasty. And most people will agree on that. I use it every morning. This kitchen favorite has a number of benefits so don’t ditch it just yet.Peanut butter is a healthy food. It gets a bad reputation because it is high in fat and calories. It’s good for so many reasons.
Peanut butter is a food paste made of dry roasted peanuts. It mainly comes in two variants, which are creamy (smooth) and crunch and is available in many flavors. It can be served as a spread on bread or toast and used to make sandwiches.
Peanut butter is quite popular is USA and USA is one of the major exporters of peanut butter. Peanut butter accounts for nearly half of the edible peanuts use in USA.
Study shows that one serving of peanut butter will give you vitamin E, vitamin B6, zinc and magnesium in small amounts. But the benefits just don’t stop there.
In 2002, an American study of nearly 84,000 women found that those who included peanut butter in their diet at least five times a week were 21 per cent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes over the 16 year study than their counterparts who rarely ate peanut butter.
The thing about peanut butter is, it has more than or equal to 90% of roasted peanuts, remaining is salt, sweetener and emulsifier or vegetable oil.
Because it is a protein-rich food, when you eat peanut butter you feel fuller for longer time. Additionally the protein it contains is good for building and repairing muscles, which is very important if you work out.
Let’s look at the nutritional information about peanut butter:
100 grams of regular peanut butter contain about:
- Nearly 588 calories, which means it is a calorie-dense food.
- 50.39 grams of total fat, out of which:
- 10.29 grams is saturated fat.
- 13.87 grams is polyunsaturated fat.
- 23.7 grams is monosaturated fat.
- 457 mg of sodium and 649 mg of potassium.
- 19.56 grams of carbohydrates.
- 25.09 grams of protein.
Now that we have seen the nutritional information of peanut butter, let’s talk about benefits of eating peanut butter:
- It is good for your heart. It helps reduce cardiovascular and coronary heart disease.
- Numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts.
- May help reduce colon cancer in women.
- Helps protect against Alzheimer’s disease, because it contains a good amount of niacin.
- It is a good source of healthy fats.
- Helps lower type 2 diabetes.
- High in protein and potassium, which helps lower blood pressure and maintains a good heart rate.
- It has magnesium, which is very good for healthy bones and muscles.
- High in fiber and vitamin E. Vitamin E is a great antioxidant and helps fight damaging free radicals.
- It is High in healthy monounsaturated fats and nutrient-rich, it is very good for weight loss.
- Since it is rich in fiber, protein and healthy fats, so it can give you boost you need to start the day.
- Peanut butter is a rich source of vitamin E, niacin, or vitamin B-3. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which controls inflammation in your body, helps in communication between cells and helps prevent tissue damage.
- It contains healthy fats and protein, which make it perfect food for bodybuilders. Many bodybuilders take peanut butter on a regular basis. It has several important benefits for a bodybuilder when eaten in moderate amount.
- Peanut butter (100 grams) has a high amount of protein (25 – 30 grams). Proteins that we eat are broken down into amino acids, which are then used by cells for repairing and building your body.
- A study on peanuts and nut consumption on the risk of gallstones was performed and the results showed that over a period of 2 decades, women who consumed peanut butter and nuts on a regular basis had reduced their risk of developing gallstones.
- Peanut butter’s monounsaturated fat and protein is highly satiating.
- Having peanut butter either on toast for breakfast, on a sandwich for lunch, can prevent you from overeating.
- Peanut butter also gives you fiber, some vitamins and minerals including potassium.
- Unsalted peanut butter has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio, which counters the harmful cardiovascular effects of sodium surplus. And even salted peanut butter still has about twice as much potassium as sodium.
- Peanut butter has primarily health-promoting mono and poly- unsaturated fat that knock down inflammation.
- People who eat peanut butter and nuts five or more times a week have lower markers of inflammation than the people who do not eat nuts.
- Research suggests that peanut butter eaters benefit from improved brain-blood circulation and mental function. This contributes to enhanced processing speed and better short-term memory.
Some Other Important Nutrients in Peanuts:
There are also plenty of biologically active nutrients in foods, which can have some great health benefits.
Peanut butter is pretty rich with antioxidants, including p-coumaric acid which may lead to a decreased risk of stomach cancer. It has a decent amount of Beta-sitosterol, a nutrient that may have anti-cancer properties.
Peanuts also contain some amount of resveratrol, which may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. It has small amounts of Q10, an important nutrient in energy metabolism.
A diet rich in healthy fats helps slow cognitive decline.
Who should not eat peanut butter:
It is not a good food for certain people. For people, who have a peanut allergy, peanut butter can cause a variety of possible allergic reactions, including life-threatening anaphylaxis.
Some people are allergic to peanuts. For a small percentage of the population, peanuts can kill
So, if you are allergic to peanut butter, please don’t eat it.
Some Unique Facts About Peanut Butter :
- Women and children like creamy peanut butter and men prefer crunchy.
- USA has had two Presidents elected who were peanut farmers: Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.
- In the early 1900s, peanut butter was found in tea rooms as a fancy food for rich people.
- In one acre of land, there is enough peanuts to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.