Meditation definitely helps in depression and anxiety. I personally think that depression is just a kind of energy which has gone in the wrong direction. In other words, depression is an energy that has turned against you. So what does that tell you?
If depression or anxiety is a negative energy then you can channel it to a positive energy, right? Absolutely right! It will not eliminate overnight but you will have to learn to transform it into something creative, something positive. You have to get out of it because it is not working for your benefit anymore but hindering your way to live joyfully and peacefully.
I firmly believe that we are physical manifestation of different kinds of energies. Happiness is energy, joy is energy, bliss and even love is a kind of energy. These are some of the positive energies.
On the other hand, sadness, anxiety, anger, depression, self -loathing and fear are some of energies which are against you. These are bad and negative energies. Some forms of energies work for you and some work against you. Now the question arises:
Does Mediation Help in Depression and Anxiety?
To be honest, mediation helps a lot if you are depressed. If you practice it regularly, you will certainly overcome this negative energy called depression. Meditation works with your thoughts, it maintains the proper balance of thoughts and purifies them.
It teaches you that you control your thoughts not these thoughts control you. You are the captain of the ship; it is you who calls the shots in your life. It gives you mental clarity and lets you know what you exactly want in your life.
How does Meditation help to Overcome from Negative Energies?
As I mentioned earlier, depression is just an energy working against you. So, all you have to do is channel this energy into something beautiful. But first, you will have to overcome it to come to a balanced state so that you can use it to do something creative. Meditation will help you channel your negative energies into bliss.
Being totally dependent on those depression pills is not the solution. You have to start taking actions. Let the first step be meditation. Makeup your mind and practice it regularly. I know first few days will be hard but rest of the journey will be amazing.
Here’s how Mediation helps you to Beat Depression and Anxiety:
- It will increase your awareness and alertness. It means, it makes you present: not in the past, not in the future but here.
- Meditation increases your concentration level, which will help in your creativity. And creativity is the best use of intelligence. As Albert Einstein once said:
Creativity is just your intelligence having fun.
- Fear is your mind’s property not your heart’s. Practicing meditation everyday will eliminate fear from your mind and put you at ease.
- Chronic stress is one of the major causes of depression. Meditation is a proven practice of stress reduction. Many studies have showed that practicing meditation significantly decreases the stress level. Many corporate companies organize mediation seminars for their employees all over the world.
- It will control your anxiety, which the root cause of many illnesses.
- People who battle depression tend to get very emotional and sentimental. Studies have proved that meditation promotes your emotional health. It improves you dignity and self-respect.
- Meditation will open new dimensions and possibilities for you. You will have a better understanding of yourself. It helps you grow as person for your own good.
Scientific Studies also Show how Effective Meditation is to Fight Depression:
I have read many studies on whether meditation is helpful to fight depression or not. I found that every study supported the fact that mindfulness and other approaches of meditation can drastically bring down your depression and anxiety levels.
You can Google it and you would find a lot of researches that undoubtedly prove the importance of meditation and the super powers it brings to you. I personally struggled with depression for over 5 years and meditation is one of the top two activities that pushed me out of it. I will tell you the other one in the next article.
Meditation brings you back in that childlike state when you were curious to lean and to explore new things and possibilities in life. It brings you back your confidence, self-esteem, curiosity, sharpness and courage. All it takes is regular practice, every morning for at least 15 minutes no matter what.
Different Methods Meditations to Fight Depression and Anxiety:
There are plenty of approaches which are helpful in depression and anxiety. You can pick any one of these, whichever suits you perfectly and start meditation. Here are some of the methods of Mediation for depression and anxiety:
- Mindfulness Meditation: In this method you close your eyes and focus of your breathing or a mantra entire time.
- Heartfulness Meditation: Just like the mindfulness meditation and other traditional methods, heartfulness meditation is a simple but powerful approach to meditation for depression and anxiety. The slight difference is that Instead of focusing on your breath, one has to focus on his/her heart.
- Osho’s Method: The great master Osho had his own way of meditation. I have explained every step of it in that separate article. Click here.
- Zen Meditation: The idea behind Zen meditation is to sit in a comfortable position and focus on your breathing. Let the thoughts come and mindfully observe them without any judgment.
- Loving-kindness Meditation: The idea behind technique this is to fill your heart with kindness and love toward everything and every being.
- Kundalini Meditation: This is an advanced level of mediation and an easy one to mess with. I would recommend a qualified guru to master this approach.