Ever wonder that you are successful of have a lot of money but how to be happy and joyful from within? Happiness is not the ultimate goal of life but it is the basic one. However, most of us feel it for a certain period of time and then it disappears. You don’t have to work to achieve happiness. You just have to experience it. It is present in every moment.
If you hear a good news you feel happy and then a bad news comes and it all goes away. So the question arises: What is the secret key to lasting inner happiness?
The answer is there is no secret. You just have to observe some realities that you are already aware of. Always remember the fact that Neither past nor future is your life. Life is the name of this moment.
Happiness comes when you feel satisfied and fulfilled. Happiness is a feeling of contentment, that life is just as it should be. You may be successful and have a lot of money, but without happiness it will be meaningless.
1. Keep A Sense Of Humor To Be Happy:
When you can not change the things or things are out of your control, do not lose it all. Be realistic and keep a sense of humor about it.
When under stress we become overly serious and neglect the many moments of pleasure and gratification that surround us.
Humor is not only good for your health physically and emotionally, but it also reinforces your relationships with your family, your friends and your coworkers.
Humor can really reduce the stress and lighten-up your mood and the difficult situation. It is a healthy sign to not being deadly serious about life and looking for humor in serious situations.
Sense of humor is one of the most important human qualities. Laughter can ease the physical tension and help your muscles to relax.
A research shows that laughter can improve your resistance to diseases by reducing the level of stress hormones and increasing infection-fighting antibodies in your body.
2. Practice Meditation Regularly:
Meditation is being in the present moment with all you have. It means proper devotion to the activity you are doing right now. Meditation will keep you going in many ways.. It will improve your concentration level and focus. And lower your stress levels.
Meditation helps you doing any work with full devotion. It allows you to be present mentally. It’s a great way to reset your mind and refresh yourself for the day and tasks ahead, and it’s also the perfect way to prepare for a good night’s sleep.
A study shows that meditation could be used successfully in treating physiological problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and migraine headaches. And as well as autoimmune diseases such as diabetes and arthritis.
3. Go for Nature Walks:
Being in your house or all work no play makes you dull. Going out in the lap of nature has great positive effects on the mind and body. Spending time outdoors keeps your blood flowing and significantly reduces feelings of stress and frustration. It lowers levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and strengthens the immune system. It gives you a chance to meet great new people, learn from them and improve the perception of life.
A recent experiment in Japan showed that those who walked in forests had significantly lower heart rates. They reported better moods and less anxiety, than those who walked in urban areas. The researchers concluded that there’s something about being in nature that had beneficial effects on stress reduction.
4. Let Go Of Things You Can’t Control:
Remember the truth that you can not control everything. This world will never work according to your personal needs. Everybody has his/her expectations from this world, which simply can not be fulfilled 100%. A line for Shawshank Redemption is popping up in my mind while writing this, “Get busy living or get busy dying”. This little line says so much about how to be happy and joyful in life.
5. Keep Your Home Clean And Organized:
Home is the place where you feel relaxed and take rest mentally and physically. If you keep it dirty, smelly and unorganized, it is the sign that you are lazy and irresponsible. With this attitude, your mind can never be peaceful.
Having an arrangement that is functional and orderly is essential. You don’t have to fill your house will expensive stuff, but you just have to keep it clean and organized. It does not cost a penny and makes you feel good about yourself.
6. Show Gratitude:
Gratitude is a thankful appreciation for things and people in his/her life. With gratitude, people acknowledge the goodness in their lives.
Show your gratitude towards all the things in your life that you are grateful and thankful for. This promotes peace of mind. It is a proven fact that showing gratitude can make you happier.
- Write “thank you” cards for people you care about.
- Be helpful, help others simply because you can.
- Tell your friends and family members that you appreciate them and tell them their good qualities.
- Respect the elders.
- Listen to the people.
- And smile.
7. Don’t Compare:
Forget what everyone else is doing or saying. We all have our own paths to follow, and we are all learning and going through life at our unique pace. Focus on your own journey. When comparison starts, joy ends. Comparing yourself with someone else is an inaccurate and irrelevant thing.
Instead of comparing yourself with other person, why not simply compare yourself with past you and see how you have improved your life or what changes you have to make to live a happy life like you used to live.
- “Comparison is the death of joy.” –Mark Twain
- “Personality begins where comparison leaves off. Be unique. Be memorable. Be confident. Be proud.” –Shannon L. Alder
- “How much time he gains who does not look to see what his neighbour says or does or thinks, but only at what he does himself, to make it just and holy.” –Marcus Aurelius
8. Always Look At The Bright Side:
There are people in this world who always seem able to look at the bright side of he life events, no matter how bad it is. They know the reality and accept it the way it is.
While on the other hand, There are people who tend to find a bad things even on a happy occasion. They ruin the moments that were supposed to make you happy. They manage to make everything bad. This is not the nature of someone. I think it is a choice. And the choice is yours. We don’t live forever.
Accept that there are so many things in your life and in the world that you can not do anything about. Just let them go joyfully. Why bother wasting your time worrying about the thongs that you can not change. This will take time to apply practically, but with time you will get used to it.
9. Be Confident In Who You Are:
Confidence is the cornerstone of leadership. If you don’t believe in yourself, how can others believe in you? Here are some of the reasons you have low confidence:
- Having a fearful attitude toward most things
- Undervaluing yourself
- Your actions are to please people around you
- Taking blame even if it is not your fault
- Constantly judging yourself
- Being very shy and isolated
- Being hung up over negative outcomes and past ‘failures’
- Preoccupation with the negative results of future failure (How can you predict future?)
Think and analyse about above habits and relate them to yourself. Work on them and you are good to go. Make your goal to train yourself to become more confident this year, try avoiding above habits into your daily life. Little by little, you’ll find yourself becoming more confident and less doubtful.
10. Enjoy Every Little Thing In Your Life:
The small things in your life are most important. We consider them small but they are really not small because they bring you constant happiness. And happiness is all you want to experience. It’s often the small things in a life which add up to the big and beautiful picture. Cherish them and that is how to be happy and joyful.
Sometimes there are big events in our life. Trips, parties and big functions. For the most part though, life is made of lots of little moments. If you can experience joy in the little things in life, then you will find yourself much happier on a day-to-day basis.
Appreciating the little things in life brings happiness. If you stay in the present moment you will begin to see how magnificent the life is. Life itself is the name of present moment. Simple moments of conversation and interaction with people, like sharing a meal or drink with someone, is nourishing for your happiness.
“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness…” — Mahatma Gandhi
Here are some great definitions on how to be happy and joyful:
- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -Mahatma Gandhi
- Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one’s values. -Ayn Rand
- Happiness is something that you are and it comes from the way you think. -Wayne Dyer
- Happiness is essentially a state of going somewhere, wholeheartedly, one-directionally, without regret or reservation. -William H. Sheldon
- Happiness is not a reward – it is a consequence. -Robert Ingersoll
- Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling and enduring and accomplishing. -George Sheehan
- Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence. -Aristotle
- Happiness is not something you experience, it’s something you remember. -Oscar Levant
- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -Margaret Lee Runbeck
- Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude. -Denis Waitley