What comes to your mind when you hear the word inflammation? As for me, open wounds come to my mind when I hear the word inflammation. But wounds is just one symptom of inflammation.
Inflammation sets in when our immune system senses that it is being attacked by something foreign. It is our body’s way of protecting itself against bacteria and viruses. If inflammation is needed why do we need to prevent it?
So our bodies will always be in tiptop shape! Because unfortunately, inflammation is manifested through sickness.
Of course, people get sick. It’s part of living. But the point here is that illnesses can be avoided if only we will be conscious about inflammation.
You might be saying that we can always turn to medicine for cure anyway. But did you know that anti-inflammatory drugs can cause heart attacks and stroke even with short-term use?
So rather than popping side effects-inducing anti-inflammatory pills one after the other, it is best to be proactive and take steps to prevent inflammation.
How then do we prevent inflammation?
Through the years we have been accustomed to eating processed food that is loaded with salt, sugar, and chemicals! No wonder our bodies have become toxic! (Detoxification was a trend for a time, right?)
Hippocrates, the Greek physician who is known to be the Father of Modern Medicine, said, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” And I agree! This is why most of the steps in preventing inflammation are related to the food we eat…and the beverage that we drink too!
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, some fish and chicken, and minimize your consumption of meat. And when it comes to meat, go for the grass fed and organic kind and not those injected with hormones and antibiotics.
- Pump up on probiotics. It’s good for your immune system. Eat yogurt, not the flavored ones, but the plain one with real live cultures. Eat fermented vegetables too.
- Avoid sugar because it stirs up inflammation to the point that it becomes chronic – which you would not want to happen. And so, sorry to say, but do not drink fruit juices (too much sugar) and soft drinks (laden with chemicals).
- Drink water instead – lots of it! Just how much water should you be drinking? Forget 8-10 glasses! It doesn’t apply to everybody. The formula for proper hydration is your weight in kilograms multiplied by 50 milliliters. The resulting amount is the minimum volume of water you should be drinking everyday.
- Prepare your own food. You can be sure that you always eat fresh and healthy food because you’re preparing it yourself! The manner of food preparation is important too. Avoid frying. If you can eat it raw or steamed, the better for you. But…
- If you need to use oil, use either coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. (Opportunity to plug extravaGONZO here.)
- If you have no choice but to eat out, order anything but fried food from the restaurant. Choose baked, broiled, or grilled dishes, and skip the sauce – it’s processed food too. And control your portions! Don’t feel pressured to eat everything that they serve you. The reason why restaurant dishes are priced high is because their portions are huge! Take half to-share or to-go.
- Lastly, make it a habit to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. This is a natural way to detoxify. Surely you can allot 30 minutes of your 24 hours for this? Any physical activity will do. The key is to take up something you enjoy so you will look forward to doing it – everyday!
Do these 8 steps for optimal health and a body free from inflammation!
Source: The Key to Longevity: An Expert’s Comprehensive Guide to Fighting Inflammation by Dr. Andrew William Campbell